After a fall that asked so much of us and our students, the holidays are your time to pause and take a deep breath. Self-care is important year round, but this holiday season it's particularly important to recharge your battery.
Jump start your recharge by watching our final self-care focused Mindfulness Session of 2020 and creating your own self-care plan!
In our final mindfulness webinar of 2020, Celie led us in a practice to cultivate lovingkindness (translated from the word "metta" in the Pali language of Northern India), toward ourselves and others. Research shows that the more we take time to practice empathy for ourselves and others, the better we feel!
Learn more about the power of lovingkindness meditation and watch the recording below.
Develop a Self-Care Plan for the Holidays
Develop a self-care plan customized to you and your individual needs that includes a mix of the 6 categories below.
- Physical: Improving my body in healthy ways. Physical exercise at home, preparing a healthy meal, extra sleep. Healthy Holiday & Occasion Recipes
- Social: What I do with others and the world around me. Having virtual dinner with friends and making time for your family. 5 Ways to Connect Virtually with Friends and Family This Holiday Season
- Emotional: Dealing with my feelings in healthy ways. Connecting with a therapist via telehealth, journal writing, listening to music. 30 Journaling Prompts for Self-Reflection and Self-Discovery
- Cognitive: Improving my mind and understanding myself better. Vision-setting, reading a professional or personal development book, getting creative. The Top 20 Professional Development Books for Educators
- Practical: Tasks you complete that fulfill various aspects of your life. Taking care of your home, budgeting, online holiday shopping.
- Spiritual: The things I do to gain perspective on life. Practicing meditation or yoga. Mindfulness for Educators: A Guide to Practicing and Facilitating Mindfulness
For self-care resources related specifically to COVID-19, check out this list.
Plus, find more self-care resources in our Comprehensive Guide to Adult SEL.